About Me

Hi! My name is Sonia, and I would like to tell you a little bit about myself. My family consists of myself, my husband, three crazy boys, and a giant golden retriever. We recently made a cross country move from the never ending oven like heat of Phoenix to the my finger tips are so dry all the fabric sticks to them never ending winter of Michigan. Like it really won't end.

My sewing life started a little over a year ago when I decided that I wanted one of the ever so popular floral raglans with striped sleeves. Yeah, you'd think one would be easy to find considering they were all over Pinterest and Facebook. Nope, not easy at all. I looked everywhere finally settling with one I found on Amazon. To my surprise (but not really, because it had a lot of bad reviews that I chose to ignore) the quality of this particular raglan was horrible. I returned it and gave up on my search for this elusive raglan. Or so I thought. Facebook being the all powerful mind reader that it is kept showing me ads with the gorgeous floral raglan that I was missing out on. So I caved, and I started searching on Facebook instead. Somehow I ended up on a PDF Pattern page called Patterns for Pirates. Holy crap, I could not believe that these ladies were actually making all of these beautiful garments! I forgot about my raglan when I saw a GORGEOUS sunshine dress. I mean don't get me wrong there were plenty of beautiful raglans, but that dress called out to me! The lady whose dress I admired so much had so kindly added that she had purchased her fabric from a place called So Sew English Fabrics. If you've ever gone to the So Sew English website, you know that you can't go to their page and not fall in love with every single one of their fabrics. Although I wanted to buy it all, I reluctantly navigated away from their page and decided to go to Walmart (my nearest fabric store) to buy some fabric so I could attempt to make this dress. To make an already long story shorter I'll tell you what happened. I bought some cheap fabric, put the pattern together (thankfully pdf patterns are super user friendly) and used my serger for the very first time. Side note, I had a serger because my mom had gifted it to me a few months before when I had decided to make hooded towels. Needless to say I didn't make one and my serger sat there for months untouched. It took me a few hours, but I got it done, I finished the dress. It was so bad, the skirt was crooked and the gathers looked horrible.  

I didn't give up though, on the contrary I convinced myself that it was the cheap fabric I had bought. Oh and the thread wasn't what everyone was recommending on the Patterns for Pirates page. I got online ordered some new thread and made my very first purchase from So Sew English. It was this beautiful aqua double brushed poly with bull heads on it. When it all came in I carefully cut out my pattern pieces and went super slow. Thankfully it was a success!! It was the most beautiful dress I had ever seen and I had made it! That's all it took, I was hooked. A little over a year later and I cannot count the amount of patterns I have bought, the quantity of items I have made, or the amount of fabric I have bought. I am so obsessed and I love it.



Here it is in all it's glory, not even hemmed. 

Comments